A trademark is used in commerce to distinguish a product or service from another product or service. Trademark applications are filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office where an examining attorney will issue a report on the registrability of the mark. The Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol are avenues for a mark to be registered internationally. It may be advisable to have a full registrability search conducted before investing in a branding campaign.
Out trademark services include:
- We conduct full trademark registrability searches to help determine whether a mark may be registered in any country. A full registrability search report includes marks that are not identical but similar for goods and services that are not identical but similar. We check various national trademark databases, domain names and business registries.
- We conduct trademark spot searches to determine whether identical marks have been filed.
- We advise clients regarding the registrability of marks in the U.S. and internationally.
- We prepare, file and obtain trademarks in the U.S. and internationally.
- We reach agreements with others who contest out clients’ trademarks.
- We police marks that are filed by others in various national trademark registries.
- We enforce client trademarks internationally against others who are using similar marks for similar goods and services.
- We pay maintenance fees that are due in the U.S. and internationally.
- We collect evidence and file statements of use that are due for trademarks in the U.S. and internationally.
- We draft agreements relating to trademarks, such as franchise agreements.